Friday, November 19, 2010

Chapter 2: Harvesting

My dreams were actually peacful. No storms disturbed them, nothing to tell me that I was going to crash on a plane. But then, I remembered. Zeus was the God of the Sky. We were flying. Earlier I had offended him. Uh oh. Were the gods easy to forgive mortals? I hoped so. Then I snapped back into my dream. My anxious thoughts were pushed to the very back of my mind, forgotten.
All of a sudden, I felt someone shaking me. I woke up, my eyes as wide as full moons. I looked around. I was surprised by the things surrounding me, then I remembered I was on a plane to go to Ontario. The person shaking me was Brooke. "Ford, we have to land. A huge storm is heading towards the plane. The pilot told everyone that it was going to be okay but we would have to land in Edmonton. We're about five minutes away so I thought I'd wake you.
I nodded. "Okay." I said. I looked at Brooke, she was fiddeling with her fingers. She only did that when she was nervous. "What is it Brooke?" Though I had a feeling I knew her awnser.
"It's the storm. It came out of no where. I think it may be Zeus. I mean, we are in his domain. And you did offend him." She said.
I was puzzled. How did she know I had offended the Sky God?
"I'm your sister. Your twin sister. I know what you feel most of the time. I can understand your facial expressions, and, I heard you in your sleep.
"Oh," my face turned red.
"It's okay," my sister laughed.
I sighed. "I guess it is him. I shouldn't have been so rude. I'm sorry," I told Brooke.
"I'm not the one you should say sorry too. Maybe you should give Zeus a peace offering?" She suggested.
"Yea. But what do you get for a god. A god who could easily turn you into a fried mortal?"
[14]
"I actually don't know," said Brooke.
"Great, I hope we can find something in-" I was cut off as the pilot's voice came on over the speakers.
"Attention, we will have to land in Edmonton until the storm has cut off. It might be a couple hours, atleast six. Feel free to look at the attractions." He told us as I looked at Brooke.
"So. . . I'm guessing you want to go see West Edmonton Mall?" I asked her.
"Sure, as long as I can spend some money on shopping."
I rolled my eyes. Of course she would be the one wanting to shop in the middle of an important. . . I guess you could say 'quest.'
"What? I need to find running shoes anyways if we are going to Niagra Falls. Besides we could meet new people."
"Or total strangers who would like to take us to their van." I replied hotly. Here she was, my sister being a complete. . . thoughtless person. "Brooke, we are in a place where we don't know who anyone is. Or what anyone is like. So don't talk to anyone." I told her.
Her eyes were cold. Brooke was the kind of person who didn't like to be corrected. But she nodded and sighed, "I guess you're right. . . for once."
I stopped myself from laughing and looked outside the window. As we got near the ground and out of the clouds I could see how flat Alberta was then British Columbia. There were farms everywhere, it looked like a quilt you're grandmother would make, the kind with different patches of fabric. I could just make out little dots on river-like roads, which I guessed were cars.
[15]
Brooke looked at me, made a weird face, then sighed in relief. "There," she said. "My ears keep popping."
I opened my backpack and pulled out a pack of Stride gum. "Here." I said as I opened it and handed her a piece. "That should help with your ear problems."
"Thanks." She took it gratefully and started chewing. Then she looked at me. "Do you ever think of Dad?" She asked.
I looked down. I hadn't really actually thought about him since my mom told me he was dead. "I don't know. Mom just told me. . . " I didn't want to finish.
"Yea, I know. Just I never thought he would abandon us like that, I knew something had happened."
"Oh." Was all I said. I was to busy thinking. What if Zeus was still offended, and bringing Brooke could put her in trouble.
"I'll be fine," she looked at me. "I'm only 5 minutes younger then you, I'll live throughout anything. Our mom has, so we will too."
I nodded. "I guess you're right." Then looked up. The seatbelt light turned on.
I grabbed my seatbelt and buckled it. Brooke did the same.
I could feel the the pressure of the air change as the plane turned towards the ground, ready to land. I looked out the window once more. We were so close to the ground that I could see the road lines.
Thwump.We touched the runway. One of the flight attendent's voice came over the speakers. "Please keep your seatbelts on incase of a sudden turn or stop."
I sighed in relief. We were on solid ground again. Away from Zeus' domain. I looked over to Brooke and I guessed she was thinking the same thing. I was about to say we were safe when we stopped. The seatbelt light went off and Brooke stood straight up reaching for her bag in the top compartment. I grabbed mine and waited for the line of people to board off of the plane.
[16]
As we headed out of the plane one of the flight attendents smiled to us, and when she did there was a breeze that brought the smell of wheat. I took a look outside and there were no wheat fields. Just the airport. I looked at the flight attendent in confusion then headed down the steps and outside.
While I was trying to figure out where the smell came from, Brooke was waiting for me near the luggage carriers. "What took you so long?" She asked.
"Uh. . . I thought I'd seen someone I knew." I said. I didn't like lying to my sister but she might've thought I was really odd for stopping to figure out what I smelled."Okay. . .", was all she said as she grabbed her suitcase and headed to the front of the airport.
"Here." She handed me a map she had gotten from the information desk. "Try and look for the mall." she told me, "It's not far from here."
I stared at the map. It wasn't far. But we would have to walk along a road with farms on both sides to get to the main part of Edmonton. Where the West Edmonton Mall was located.
"What? We shouldn't need a taxi just to walk a short distance." She scolded and grabbed her suitcase. She wheeled it along the sidewalk and towards the road we had to go down.
I grabbed my suitcase, rolled my eyes, and followed her.
We had walked only for five minutes when the airport disappeared behind us and two huge farmlands on either side of the road appeared. I could smell wheat again and I guessed that's what I had smelled from the airplane. I kept walking, but I had a sudden sensation someone was watching me, and the wheat field next to me didn't make me feel better, for all I knew a serial killer could be hiding in there.
"Uhm . . . Brooke?" I said.
She turned around and her eyes widened. I looked behind me.
[17]
A lady with jet black hair was following us. She looked like she worked on farms. She had jean overalls on with dirty knees.
"Hello young ones." She said. Her voice was soft, motherly. It made me miss my mom who I had left alone in British Columbia.
"H-hi." I stuttered. Brooke walked over to me she nudged me and hissed in my ear, "We aren't supposed to talk to stranger, Ford."
"Sorry." I hissed back.
"No need to be afraid, children. I will not harm you. I see you are not from here." She said, looking at our suitcases.
"Actually from B.C" Brooke said.
"Interesting. I am Demie. This over here is my farm." She said, gesturing to the farm on the left side of the road. "What are you in Alberta for?" She asked.
"Our plane had to land because of a storm."
"A storm?" Asked Demie. "There has not been a storm since last month." She glanced at the sky. Clear. Not a cloud in the sky.
"That's odd. When we were on the plane, there was lightning and-" Something clicked in my head. "Zeus." I whispered under my breath. Why was he making us land in Alberta?
"Zeus? The Sky God?" Demie asked.
"Yes, from Greek Mythology." Brooke said.
"Ahh. He is very powerful. His master lightning bolt could kill a whole mortal army." Demie said.
The way she said that sounded as if she actually had seen it happen before.
Brooke's eyes widened again and a the smell of wheat overwhelmed me.
"You are Demeter, aren't you. Goddess of Agriculture." Brooke said.
"Why, child. You are very smart." Demie had said.
[18]
"You are Demeter?" I asked. Confused.
"Yes, young one." Demie, or Demeter said. "I have come in search for you. See a god can find any messenger. They have a certain. . . aroma that can be detected from countries and countries away." She told me.
I was still confused. I was actually talking to a real, live Greek goddess. "So does Zeus know that I am coming?" I asked.
"Yes, everyone is aware of you." Demeter said.
"And by everyone, you mean all of the gods and goddesses?", guessed Brooke.
"And monsters." Demeter said.
"M-m-monsters?" I stuttered.
"Surely your mother has taught you everything you needed to know before going on your quest." Demeter said.
"Yes. But she didn't say anything about monsters." Brooke said.
Demeter sighed. "I have to teach you mortals everything." She looked up to the sky.
"Wait," I said to Demeter. "Why did Zeus make us come here. To see you?" I guessed.
"Yes, child. He needed to know if you were truely ready to fufill your destiny."
I was in awe struck. Zeus was trying to help?
"Now, what do you know about Ancient Greek monsters?" Asked Demeter.
"I know a lot. It was my favourite subject to learn in Social Studies." Brooke said.
I rolled my eyes. Brooke was kissing up to the Agriculture Goddesses.
"What about you, Ford?" Demeter asked.
[19]

No comments:

Post a Comment